The Art of Doing Everything and Making Nothing...

I love trying out stuff! Recently, ads from a meal prep service called EveryPlate kept showing on my feed. I decided to try it out since the first box was on sale anyway (it was about $5/meal). 

Upon opening the box, I immediately realised that I wouldn't be able to follow their recipes because they required you to use the oven. I've never baked or used the oven before, so I do not have a baking tray or the confidence to use the oven without an experienced friend's supervision, just so I do not set the fire alarms off. 

In the end, I decided to wing it. Here is what I started with:

  • chicken tenderloin (about 250 g)
  • panko breadcrumbs
  • egg - 1
  • soysauce
  • spices (salt, paprika, chilli powder, oregano)
  • Indian spice mixes: chings masala, maggi magic masala, garam masala, and my favourite biryani masala 😭)
  • cream
  • tomato paste
  • ginger garlic paste
  • cucumber
  • onion
  • capsicum
  • veggie salad
  • vegetable stock
  • butter chicken premade sauce (from the supermarket)
I intended to make crispy chicken using breadcrumbs accompanied with yummy sauce (never got to what flavour because plans got ruined), veggie salad and rice. 

Minutes into frying chicken tenderloin with breadcrumbs, I realised that I did not have enough oil to deep fry the chicken. That meant, there had to be a change of plans since my chicken was pretty raw. 

I am not going into the specifics of a recipe that didn't work out, but I used all of the spices I had on my chicken. Now that my chicken couldn't be deep-fried anymore, I decided to make a curry.

This was the same as opening a can of worms. First, the vegetable stock did not add to the flavour. Further, the tomato paste was VERY sour. I diluted my curry in order to make it less sour, but I had to pour in a lot of water because the paste was so sour. 😭😭

As a result, all of the spices that I had previously added - both in the chicken and the saucepan were diluted. The tomato paste was still quite sour and in a minute's desperation, I added some cream. This worked, but my chicken curry now tasted only like tomato. 

I added some more spices but it didn't really improve the flavour. I also wanted this to end asap, so I poured in the remaining egg batter and panko breadcrumbs. The curry didn't taste bad, but you would think that it was just tomato paste and salt if you didn't see the huge range of spices next to my saucepan. 

Here is a picture: 


Packing my lunch, I had one layer of rice, followed by a layer of tomato chicken topped with veggie salad, capsicum and cucumber.

Here I am now, writing this blog while eating my spice-loaded but truly bland lunch and drinking some hot chocolate which honestly, I am enjoying more...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Women* In STEM Leadership Conference

Duoversary

Looking for a Language Study Buddy in ChatGPT-3